Saturday, August 10, 2013

Expecting an ark

Honestly, so much rain!  Quite a few areas have had flooding and some have lost their homes and the forecast for the rest of the week looks like more of the same.   We are on a hill and our house is in very little danger of flooding.  I'm pretty sure that if our house ever floods we will have much bigger problems to deal with such as plague and pestilence, the horsemen of the apocalypse, etc.  

The high humidity has forced me to be inside more so I've started painting the living room.


The walls and ceilings are so high that I can only get so far on the step ladder.  I will have to use the extension ladder to get the rest.  I am playing around with colors right now.  The wall in the first photo is a deep teal which we love.  I am going to use two lighter shades to paint the openings above the tv, sort of an ombre effect.  That's the plan anyway. It looks great in my head!  The gnomes and troll will have to find a new home.  Yes, those are Elvis and Bob Marley gnomes. And a troll.  Why?  Because my husband loves them. And he lets me paint the walls weird colors and set up saw horses in the living room.  I find it's a fair trade.

I have had a bakers rack serving as a printer stand and general catch all in the dining room and have wanted to replace it for a while.  

 We found a cabinet at a yard sale for $15 that we thought would do the job.  I finally finished painting it. Have you ever painted anything red?  I lost track of how many coats of paint it took but in the end it was worth it!

The bakers rack is moving to the front porch as soon as I've painted the shelves. If the humidity would go down I might actually finish in the next day or so.

I managed to wade into the garden in between rain showers and had enough squash and banana peppers to freeze.  The tomatoes have been mangled by the deer all summer although they are hanging in there and we might get a few more before the season is over. The eggplant is holding its own but the cucumbers have been pitiful from day 1. We viewed this year as a total experiment since the bed was new and we didn't know if anything would actually grow so overall, it has been a success.

I'm sure there are more peppers and squash that are ready but I'm not a fan of tromping through the rain to get them so they will just stay on the vine for now.  I'm a rather lazy gardener, LOL!

As always, thanks for stopping by!

Sandie








2 comments:

  1. Wow Sandie, looks like I will have to book another visit to inspect all the paintwork!! I love your teal!!! Very impressive array of veges too, shame about the tomatoes. Hope it dries up over there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is STILL raining. Very unusual weather for us. I am still painting. I like what I've done so much that I really want the rest of the house done. We head off at the end of the week for our trip up to get Tessa and I really need the break, lol!

      Delete