Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Two steps forward

Yesterday was frustrating.  I thought I had finished a map wall hanging (two steps forward) but I really don't like how it turned out. (and one step back)
It just doesn't have the look I was wanting.  So, my fantabulous husband is going to New Zealand in July and he is going to bring another map back and I'm going to do it again on the other side.  There are a lot of things I will do differently from the start so I am looking forward to trying this again.

We got a tremendous price on outdoor furniture last fall at World Market.  I didn't really like the color but for the price it didn't matter.  I painted the deck a couple of weeks ago, bought a rug and Alan (the previously mentioned fantabulous husband) put the furniture together and we were thrilled with it.  (Two steps forward)  Unfortunately, the stain that is on it is not particularly weather proof.  So, the chairs are in the garage ready to be sanded and painted. (and one step back)
I love BEHR paint from Home Depot.  They have a new outdoor paint and I can't wait to try it. 
 The color I picked is Earth Chicory, a really rich dark brown.  I'm going to do the chairs first  (because I can do them in the garage) then I have to do the chaise and the table.




It has been an extremely mild spring and early summer, but the heat is finally here so I am spending a ridiculous amount of time watering my flower boxes and potted plants.  We have a faucet on one side of the house and in the back but not in the front or on the other side.  That's not helpful since my flowers are in the front of the house so I traipse back and forth with a watering can.  Just once a day right now but by the end of July I will have to do it twice a day.  


I don't know what is going on with the white petunias this year. They are just blooming like crazy.  I'm keeping an eye out for a suspicious looking hookah smoking caterpillar.  I think he's slipping them something. (for those of you that don't get that reference, it's Alice in Wonderland.  READ THE BOOK)

Look, Tessa!  I planted petunias in your teacup!  They look a little sad here but I just transplanted them, I think they will perk up.

This is the first year for a veggie garden. Didn't Alan do a great job with the raised bed and the trellis?  The tomatoes are going gangbusters so Alan rigged bamboo stakes to extend the  cages upward (Two steps forward)

I went out last night to take a photo of the garden and found the stupid deer are eating my tomatoes (and one step back).

And just to keep things interesting, our dishwasher has been leaking (apparently for a really long time) and it soaked through the MDF and into the subfloor.  So, this is my kitchen right now.  That's a dehumidifier. We are hoping it helps.


I'm off to sand chairs!





4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am enjoying, already, keeping up with what you are up to!! It is so cool that I can picture exactly what you are talking about. A shame the deer didn't come up to the house when i was there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm glad you like it. I've been looking at your 365 blog and loving it! It doesn't seem like New Zealand is quite so far away. Oh, stupid, stupid deer. They are becoming quite a nuisance. My last trip up to mom and dad's I saw so many killed on the side of the road. I don't think I've ever seen that many before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the teacup has a better home now. It wasn't being loved. Your flowers look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete