Thursday, June 13, 2013

So Humid!

Wow, summer is definitely here!  Yesterday it was in the 90's and the humidity was just obscene.  I wanted to paint my chairs but they never would have dried and the heat just wipes me out.  Instead, I sat on the sofa, worked on my applique and watched Memoirs of a Geisha and an episode of Once Upon a Time.  Now I'm only 18 episodes behind. Go me!

I always have at least one project going upstairs and downstairs.  We have a tv on the main floor and a big screen down in the man cave.  My current project upstairs is an applique square that I started in a class at the Paducah quilt show. I'm going to make a pillow with it.


Those fabrics didn't work for me so I am using all batiks.  I am working on all the leaves right now.  Anytime I have a minute I work up a leaf.  

I'm also very, very slow at this.

I did finish one little project.  I needed to try a new crackle finish and decided that this candle holder would work just fine.  I'm a bit infatuated with the crackle finishes I'm seeing in stores.  The old finish didn't fit in the new house so it wouldn't be any loss if it didn't work out.  I base coated it in white, put the crackle medium over that, then stained it with a light tan.  It ended up being a lot more terra cotta than I expected but I like it.  It was my first time using a one step crackle and it works great if you are wanting to crackle over a print, decorative paper, etc.






I did manage to get the first coat on the undersides of all the chairs today.  It's not quite as hot or humid but it was still too hot to be out there for long.  Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!









1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandie, your candle holder looks great - just like a new one! - was it a wooden base under all that? Good to see you working on your Baltimore, too - I'm going to have to get cracking on mine aren't I?! Have a nice day!!

    ReplyDelete