Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Thinkin' about a goat.....

Today has been filled with outside chores and cleaning up after varmints. Particularly deer. They have been eating our tomatoes from the start but they have stayed out of the beds and just eaten from the side.  We didn't like it but figured we could live with it.  They weren't killing the plants or eating the tomatoes.  But now they have decided to climb into the beds to eat.  All that empty center space is filled with hoof prints.    I have the peppers all staked up and the cages straightened but they will just do it again.   Too bad they don't eat squash.  We have plenty of that to share.  All that crazy vine up in front, that is just one plant.

Today's harvest.   

 Isn't that just the prettiest squash?  It's our first.  Our Japanese eggplant is producing nicely too. One of the pepper plants I bought was mislabeled, grrrr, so we have 2 banana pepper plants instead of a red bell pepper and 1 banana pepper.   I'm now starting to think that another of the pepper plants was mislabeled.  Should be another red bell but the nice green peppers that are on there are  really big and they are showing no signs of turning red. Can't complain much as I do have peppers.  I'm afraid the zucchini plant has become compost which, as it turns out is probably a blessing given how ridiculously the yellow squash is growing. The cucumbers are hanging in but not showing signs of producing much as of yet. 

The rest of the day was spent mowing the friggin' lawn.  I don't enjoy mowing the lawn on the best of days but today is in the 90's with about 65% humidity.  For those of you that do Celsius,  I wouldn't have a clue what that translates to.  Oh, yeah I do.  Sticky, sweaty, muggy, oppressively hot.  Typically by this time in July, we don't have to mow very much.  The summer is full on with high temperatures and no rain so the grass doesn't grow.  That's always been July's saving grace as far as I'm concerned.  Not this July. We have been setting records for low temperatures and high rain since the beginning of the month (until yesterday).  The grass is growing like it's late spring but it's been raining so much that I couldn't get out to mow it until today and man, was it a pain.  I had to put the bagger on the mower because the yard would have looked awful if I had left the clippings on it.  Now, I have a fairly small yard and I was still having to empty the bag every third round.  I filled up two 42gal trash bags.  42 gallons is 150 something litres.  That's alot of grass, lol.

Now I'm dehydrated, soaking wet, allergies have kicked in something wicked,  and I still need to sand some furniture.  Ah, the joys of home ownership.  

Here are a couple of progress pics.    

Bedside tables
 sanded and ready to be stained

 Outside furniture
Sanded and first coat on the bottoms started



Oh, what about the goat?  If I had a goat it would eat the stupid grass and possibly make enough noise to scare the deer.  Sounds like a win/win to me.

Hope y'all have a great day.  Thanks for stopping by.

Sandie


1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, a goat could be perfect!! I am impressed with the veges - it doesn't seem that long ago that we were lanting them. Maybe the plants on special were the mislabelled ones....?! Good to hear what you are up to...the temperature here has dropped tonight, definitely feeling a litte like winter tonight after a very sunny weekend.

    ReplyDelete