Thursday, July 4, 2013

I've been busy! Really!

I know, I know, I haven't posted but I have been busy.  I spent last week  up in Illinois at my parents.  That's always relaxing and I can spend the time doing needlework without feeling like I should be doing something else, laundry, dusting, etc.

I mentioned unraveling a scarf and turning it into an afghan a couple of posts ago.  I finally finished it.


I really love this pattern!  The colors are my daughter's school colors.  She will get much more use out of this than she would a scarf.

At the moment, I am on a complete painting binge.  If it doesn't move, it is going to be painted.  I did finish my patio table and chairs and I am really happy with them. They even look great in the rain!  
 I still have the chaise and the lazy susan to paint. 
I found this little table at a yard sale and I'm going to give it a  few coats of paint too.
The top had some really bad places, particularly the corners but my awesome husband rounded them off and by the time I sand and paint it you'll never know!

A few months ago (ahem, 7 or 8 months, maybe) I started to paint the master bedroom.  One wall and the bathroom got painted and then stuff happened (that's Sandie code for OOOhhhhh, shiny things).  Well, it is going to get finished now! This is the before. 


The entire house is painted taupe and while it is a very versatile neutral, it is also a flat paint finish.  I hate flat paint.  I can't clean it and it sucks up all of the light. Our bedroom always seems dark so I decided on a pale yellow in a satin to try to lighten it up.  I painted the ceiling already but while lying in bed one night, I realized that it was ridiculously splotchy so I need to add another coat. And since I'm doing the walls and ceiling, it is time to change the lovely honey oak finish of this bookcase that sits next to my husband's desk. Every other piece of furniture is more of an espresso finish.  

I was browsing through Pinterest the other day and found a tutorial on whitewashing a brick fireplace.  I don't have a brick fireplace BUT I do have fireplace doors that have dated brass edging and dated handles. 
 Replacing the doors is not even ON the priority list so I thought I would have to live with them as they are.  LOVE PINTEREST!  After they whitewashed the brick, they spray painted - yep, spray painted the surround and the door trim.  They had to tent the area in plastic and tape everything off to contain the spray.  Luckily my surround is already black and my fantabulous husband removed the doors so I could paint them in the garage.   So, I bought this.
And I ended up with this.
Amazing what a big difference small little changes can make. Now, if you do have a brick fireplace that you want to redo or you want to paint the surround, this is a great tutorial - How to Paint a Brick Fireplace.

Well, the fireworks have started in the neighborhood so I'm going to go watch.  I'll try to post a bit more frequently, add some more progress photos.  Thanks for stopping by!    

Happy Fourth of July!  

Sandie


4 comments:

  1. Gosh you do get through things :-) T will love the afghan - it's very cool. Great work around the house too.... funny you working on both your winter fireplace AND your summer furniture all at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hadn't thought about working on the summer and winter projects at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that afghan! That's such a cool pattern. I can't wait to use it this fall! The fireplace looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the afghan. I thought it turned out great.

      Delete